SAC has specialized teams that uniquely serve marginalized and underserved communities. Our current teams are Black Client Services, Hispanic Client Services & Sex Positive Client Services.
Black Client Services
Mission: To provide culturally specific trauma-informed services to individuals, families, and institutions in the Black community that have been historically marginalized and continue to be victimized on a systemic, societal, relational, and individual level.
- Continue and expand dialogue with the African American community by hosting events and workshops about sexual violence and attitudes about sex in order to reduce stigma/shame, increasing the likelihood of individuals seeking available treatment—leading to healing in the community.
- Sustain and grow a continued gathering of individuals who engage in therapeutic services, which will provide a continued support/safe space for African American survivors in the community.
- Expand outreach to Historically Black Colleges/Universities (HBCUs) and Black Churches and provide them with a menu of our services through our Black Client Service Committee.
- Begin to monitor Black clients who seek services at SAC to ensure that they are getting the appropriate/relevant help needed—and are not waitlisted for extended durations of time.
Hispanic Client Services
Mission: To serve and empower Latinx/Hispanic individuals and families who have been impacted by sexual violence, cycles of violence, and other forms of oppression by providing cultural and trauma-informed clinical services, advocacy services, crisis intervention, prevention/training services, and community outreach.
- Build trust and rapport within the Latinx/Hispanic community for individuals to seek support throughout their healing process, and to create a safe space to continue dialogue surrounding the impact of sexual violence.
- Promote culturally, linguistically, and trauma-informed services at the Sexual Assault Center to best serve Latinx/Hispanic individuals.
- Collaborate and partner with other organizations to increase support for the Latinx/Hispanic community.
- Provide trainings, tools, and resources to community members to equip individuals and professionals to better serve the Latinx/Hispanic community.
- Engage in ongoing professional development to better serve the Latinx/Hispanic community.
Sex Positive Client Services
Mission: To serve sexual assault survivors who face pathologization and oppression based on gender, sexuality, and/or relationship style (including LGBTQIA+ people, ethical non-monogamists, sex work professionals, and BDSM practitioners) through trauma-informed & sex-positive clinical services, education, and advocacy efforts.
“Sex-Positive” Defined: A stance that regards all experiences and expressions of gender, relationship style, and consensual sexuality as deserving of respect and non-judgment.
- Provide workshops and trainings for community members to increase knowledge about and support for survivors who identify as LGBTQIA+, ethical non-monogamists, sex work professionals, and/or BDSM practitioners.
- Support local, state, and federal advocacy efforts to empower and protect members of these communities.
- Build collaborative relationships with local organizations to increase regional support for members of these communities.
- Promote sex-positive and evidence-based practices for all SAC departments in order to best serve members of these communities.